The X(oom) Files

The Motorola Xoom.

This is the first real shot across the bow at Apple's iPad (which I've written about). Late last year Google showed off their newest Android OS version 3.0, or as the world knows it better, Honeycomb. This operating system - the first designed for Android tablets - looked damn impressive, but on top of that, there was a sleek looking tablet that Google was showing it off on. This tablet was a near release version of what now is the Motorola Xoom and the pair looked fantastic together.

Motorola was near extinction as a phone manufacturer near the end of 2008. The RAZR was a popular, but terrible, phone. Motorola was being knocked around by RIM's BlackBerry smart phones and then Apple came out with their iPhone. Little did the world know that Motorola was clawing its way back from the depths of hell with a new phone platform based on Google's mobile platform, Android. HTC was already a big player in Android, but when the Motorola Droid landed on Verizon, the race was on and one of the longest standing names in voice communication history was back with a vengeance.

The Droid 2 and the Droid X were also huge successes, touting improved performance and a larger screen (sans keypad) respectively. Then Apple took the next step in innovation. They hit the market with the iPad, and the world became in love with the idea of tablet computers almost overnight. I'll never forget the streams of tablet news throughout 2010. Everyone and their mothers were announcing new tablets but one problem remained. For all the hype about an Android tablet, Google came out and said that Froyo (Android 2.2) and Gingerbread (Android 2.3) weren't ready for tablet primetime. These were designed for smartphones and that was about it.

Samsung released its Galaxy Tab late 2010 with some praise, but also some initial criticisms that Apple faced with the iPad's release: It was just a larger version of their respective smartphones. Google was grinding out their Honeycomb release with a curious partner for the first platform developed specifically for it - Motorola and their Xoom tablet. A Tegra 2 powerhouse with 1GB of RAM, a 1200x800 display and - *gasp* - a micro-USB and mini-HDMI port built in. This isn't quite my dream tablet, but this is honestly the first release I've even considered buying.

So what's the reason for this article? Surely, it's not an advertisement for Motorola. That is correct fine sirs and madams. This is all about my journey to a simpler mobile lifestyle. Here's what I'm talking about.

Currently, I travel about 80% of the year for work. When I travel, I bring the following:
- 2 (Two) Laptops, one for work, one for play
- 2 (Two) Cell Phones, business and personal (didn't want to give up my number or pay crazy ETFs, nor lose the greatness that is Verizon's network)
- 1 (One) PSPGo

As you can imagine, this makes airport security a bit of a nightmare since I have to unpack and repack both of my laptops every time. It also makes for a large pain to have to carry the weight of two sizable notebooks. The bill that comes with the personal phone is completely unnecessary outside of not having to tell people I have a new number (and those pesky ETFs).   On top of all that is the accessories. Two power cords, a handful of various cables to connect to my computer, various wall and car chargers. It's enough to drive a man insane.

So last week, I came up with what I think is a great idea to become more mobile and less burdened with electronic overload. That idea starts with Google Voice, which is essentially a voice/text forwarding service. I learned that I could port my phone number over to Voice and forward calls and texts to another number. Sure I'll have to pay ETFs, but at this point with only a few months left on my contract it comes out to be about even with my current monthly phone bill. This eliminates the personal phone while retaining the major reason to keep my number - it's MY number.

The next building block of my plan is the Xoom itself. I need a portable media hub that is also a gateway to society while I'm on the road. So I buy a Xoom and pay $20-30/mo for 3G data (1GB since I'll be doing most of my tablet tasks via Wi-Fi). I can currently run Google Voice on the browser of my Xoom until the Voice App is optimized for Honeycomb, which also helps my lack of personal phone. The functionality of the Xoom will allow me to eliminate my personal laptop from my travel as well.

So where does this leave me? Well, this week is my experiment in efficient mobility. I'll have 1 phone, 1 laptop and my Xoom. Already much easier just saying that. What we'll go through over the next week is my experience with this way of living. I'll blog from my Xoom, chat from my Xoom, connect with people from my Xoom. It should be great fun, actually. I'm taking a huge chance by porting my cell number over to Google Voice. I have no idea how seamless it will be. This is scariest of all by not having my for sure capabilities at my side, but it's definitely worth doing.

I'll post my airport/in flight experience right here tomorrow.

Until then always remember
It is the Geeks that will inherit the Earth
Previous
Next Post »

Like what you see here? Want to rip me a new one? Unleash your verbage here. EmoticonEmoticon