The X(oom) Files - Here Goes Nothing

This day has been nothing short of interesting.
Last night I loaded almost all of my music on my Xoom. I also arranged the home screen in a fluid and visually apealing fashion. One of the nicest features of Honeycomb is the user interface and its flexability. Google has provided not only apps, but they took it a step further with widgets - essentially live updating "desktop" apps, which eases interactions with the outside world. I can safely say this is one of the nicest interfaces i've ever used.
At the office I use my personal laptop mainly as a music player and giant RSS reader. These are some of the features I need to work flawlessly on the Xoom in order for it to be a truely great replacement for my personal computer. Google's Honeycomb music player in conjunction with the widget makes this a great tool for replacing Windows Media Player on my laptop.
For an RSS reader replacement I found a fantastic app called Pulse, specifically designed for easy feed reading. Each RSS feed is an independently scrolling row. Each row is filled with multiple story blocks that you click on and can read in an independent window that takes up half the screen. This satisfies my other main use for an office procrastination machine.
So how does the Xoom fare in air travel?  Well, short of a small hiccup logging onto my Boingo account at Detroit's airport, it worked really well. At this point I only have one gripe with the browsing experience as a whole. That one gripe is the Xoom's tenedency to be identified as a mobile device and bring up the smartphone version of several sites. I'm not sure if Google/Motorola can fix this on the software side but I'd like to see web developers either allow the regular version of their sites on tablets or if they can determine if the connection is Wi-Fi or 3G/4G and scale based on bandwidth. This is not a game ender for me however.
The Xoom is a truely multitasking device, which scores even more points for Motorola's powerhouse tablet. Right now for instance, I have 3 apps open, including this Blogger app and my browser window. On the flight over I was playing a game of Angry Birds while listening to my music in the background. I really can't stress the importance of this enough. It's the closest experience to my laptop that i've found on a tablet thus far.
That's pretty much my travel experience with the Xoom so far. Tomorrow night I'll dive into my hotel room experiences with my new Xoom.
Until then always remember,
It is the Geeks that will inherit the Earth
Previous
Next Post »

Like what you see here? Want to rip me a new one? Unleash your verbage here. EmoticonEmoticon